The Diocesan Marriage Preparation Class is designed to be an engaging, enriching, and beautiful presentation of the teachings of our faith. Use this page to read more and to register for required classes, offered several times throughout the year.
Marriage Preparation Checklist:
• Call your parish — 8 to 12 months before wedding
• Initial parish meeting — 8 months before wedding
• Register for and attend a diocesan Marriage Preparation Class — 3 to 10 months before wedding (see bottom of post to register)
• Register for and attend an introductory Natural Family Planning Course — 5 to 6 months before wedding (suggested but not required)
• Final parish meeting — 4 to 6 weeks before wedding
• Sacrament of Reconciliation — 1 to 2 weeks before wedding (suggested but not required)
Please see our MARRIAGE PREPARATION CHECKLIST page for more details!
Getting Married Outside the Diocese?
If you reside in the Diocese of Bridgeport, but you are getting married outside the diocese, please make sure you check with the priest or deacon who will witness the wedding. Some diocese require a letter from your local pastor, as well as all the paperwork showing you have completed the appropriate formation. In most cases, the Judicial Vicar of the Diocese of Bridgeport must grant a Nihil Obstat (literally, “nothing hinders”) and send the required paperwork to the diocese where the marriage is taking place. Checking on these things ahead of time will save you time in the end.
Our one-day Marriage Preparation class, offered at the Catholic Center (238 Jewett Avenue, Bridgeport) is a full-day of formation, dialogue among the couple, and reflection. The content presented in the Unveiled program is relevant, aesthetically pleasing and solidly built on the tenets of our faith. The day will also include a bag of supplemental conference materials for the couple, continental breakfast, hot lunch, snacks, and an opportunity for Reconciliation.
The Marriage Preparation class is designed to share in Christ’s vision for married love including the theology of marriage, communication, intimacy, and married spirituality. At the end of the day, couples will understand the fundamental components of the human and spiritual elements of sacramental marriage and be empowered to live out that vision in the world.
The price for this preparation class is $220, which can be paid online when you register.
What do you discuss during the day?
• Communication and Conflict Resolution
• Why Get Married in the Catholic Church?
• The Nature of Christian Marriage
• Fertility, Married Sexuality and the Language of the Body
• Mixed Faith Marriages
• Spirituality in Marriage
• Common Challenges in Married Life
• 8:30 am — Registration and hospitality
• 9:00 am — Morning prayer and opening session
• Noon — Lunch and reconciliation
• 1:00 pm — Afternoon session
• 4:30 pm — Wrap up and closing prayer
• 5:00 pm — Dismiss
What dates are available? (all dates are Saturdays)
• March 10, 2018
• April 14, 2018
• April 28, 2018*
• May 12, 2018
• June 9, 2018*
* indicates Spanish available