The Diocesan Marriage Preparation Class is designed to be an engaging, enriching, and beautiful presentation of the teachings of our faith. Use this page to read more and to register for required classes, offered several times throughout the year.
Marriage Preparation Checklist:
• Call your parish — 8 to 12 months before wedding
• Initial parish meeting — 8 months before wedding
• Register for and attend a diocesan Marriage Preparation Class — 3 to 10 months before wedding (see bottom of post to register)
• Register for and attend an introductory Natural Family Planning Course — 5 to 6 months before wedding (suggested but not required)
• Final parish meeting — 4 to 6 weeks before wedding
• Sacrament of Reconciliation — 1 to 2 weeks before wedding (suggested but not required)
Our one-day Marriage Preparation class, offered at the Catholic Center (238 Jewett Avenue, Bridgeport) is a full-day of formation, dialogue among the couple, and reflection. The content presented in the Unveiled program is relevant, aesthetically pleasing and solidly built on the tenets of our faith. The day will also include a bag of supplemental conference materials for the couple, continental breakfast, hot lunch, snacks, and an opportunity for Reconciliation.
The Marriage Preparation class is designed to share in Christ’s vision for married love including the theology of marriage, communication, intimacy, and married spirituality. At the end of the day, couples will understand the fundamental components of the human and spiritual elements of sacramental marriage and be empowered to live out that vision in the world.
Beginning this year, couples will receive videos prior to the day so you know what to expect. Online formation will enhance what you learn during the day.
The price for this preparation class is $220, which can be paid online when you register.
What do you discuss during the day?
• Communication and Conflict Resolution
• Why Get Married in the Catholic Church?
• The Nature of Christian Marriage
• Fertility, Married Sexuality and the Language of the Body
• Mixed Faith Marriages
• Spirituality in Marriage
• Common Challenges in Married Life
• 8:30 am — Registration and hospitality
• 9:00 am — Morning prayer and opening session
• Noon — Lunch and reconciliation
• 1:00 pm — Afternoon session
• 4:30 pm — Wrap up and closing prayer
• 5:00 pm — Dismiss
What dates are available?
• August 12, 2017
• September 9, 2017*
• October 14, 2017
• November 11, 2017*
• December 9, 2017
• January 13, 2018*
• February 10, 2018
• March 3, 2018*
• March 10, 2018
• April 14, 2018
• April 28, 2018*
• May 12, 2018
• May 26, 2018*
* indicates Spanish available